The Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards include prizes in two categories for works in translation, and translated works are eligible for consideration in other categories as well. The nominees for the 2019 awards have just been announced. I’ve listed the translated works among the nominees in each category below.
Nominees in the category Best U.S. Edition of International Material include:
- About Betty’s Boob, by Vero Cazot and Julie Rocheleau, translated by Edward Gauvin (Archaia/BOOM!)
- Brazen: Rebel Ladies Who Rocked the World, by Pénélope Bagieu [translator not credited] (First Second)
- Herakles Book 1, by Edouard Cour, translated by Jeremy Melloul (Magnetic/Lion Forge)
- Niourk, by Stefan Wul and Olivier Vatine, translated by Brandon Kander and Diana Schutz (Dark Horse)
- A Sea of Love, by Wilfrid Lupano and Grégory Panaccione (Magnetic/Lion Forge)
Nominees in the category Best U.S. Edition of International Material—Asia include:
- Abara: Complete Deluxe Edition, by Tsutomu Nihei, translated by Sheldon Drzka (VIZ Media)
- Dead Dead Demon’s Dededede Destruction, by Inio Asano, translated by John Werry (VIZ Media)
- Laid-Back Camp, by Afro, translated by Amber Tamosaitis (Yen Press)
- My Beijing: Four Stories of Everyday Wonder, by Nie Jun, translated by Edward Gauvin (Graphic Universe/Lerner)
- Tokyo Tarareba Girls, by Akiko Higashimura, [translator not credited] (Kodansha)
Nominees in the category Best Adaptation from Another Medium include:
- “Frankenstein” by Mary Shelley, in Frankenstein: Junji Ito Story Collection, adapted by Junji Ito, translated by Jocelyne Allen (VIZ Media)
- Out in the Open by Jesús Carraso, adapted by Javi Rey, translated by Lawrence Schimel (SelfMadeHero)
Nominees in the category Best Single Issue/One-Shot include:
- The Terrible Elisabeth Dumn Against the Devils In Suits, by Arabson, translated by James Robinson (IHQ Studio/ Image)
Nominees in the category Best Publication for Teens (ages 13–17) include:
- Watersnakes, by Tony Sandoval, translated by Lucas Marangon (Magnetic/Lion Forge)
Nominees in the category Best Comics-Related Book include:
- Yoshitaka Amano: The Illustrated Biography—Beyond the Fantasy, by Florent Gorges, translated by Laure Dupont and Annie Gullion (Dark Horse)
For the complete listing of nominated works, see the announcement on Comics Beat.
The winners will be announced Friday, July 19 at the San Diego Comic-Con. First Second Books and Kodansha, you should be crediting your translators! To the uncredited and to all the other prize-nominated translators (esp. Edward Gauvin, who’s up for two separate projects) best of luck!