I’m delighted to see a number of translated books included in the shortlists for this year’s CLMP Firecracker Awards, including entries in both the fiction and poetry categories. The Firecracker Awards honor independently published and self-published literature each year. Here are the translated works included on each of this year’s shortlists:
- Blood of the Dawn (Deep Vellum), Claudia Salazar, translated from the Spanish by Elizabeth Bryer
- Chronicle of the Murdered House (Open Letter), Lucio Cardoso, translated from the Portuguese by Margaret Jull Costa & Robin Patterson
- Eve Out of Her Ruins (Deep Vellum), Ananda Devi, translated from the French by Jeffrey Zuckerman
- Gesell Dome (Open Letter), Guillermo Saccomanno, translated from the Spanish by Andrea G. Labinger
- Hammer with No Master: Poems of René Char (Tupelo Press), translated from the French by Nancy Naomi Carlson
The complete lists of finalists and more information on the books and judges can be found on the CLMP website. The winners will be announced at an event at Poet’s House at 6:00 p.m. on June 6. Congratulations to all the shortlisted translators, and may the best book win!