Shortlists follow longlists as spring follows fall, and here’s the latest list this spring has brought: the Man Booker International Prize shortlist, which narrows the field from the longlisted 13 to six. This is a particularly delightful shortlist in that half the books on it are by women. It looks great! Here are the judges’ top picks:
- Virginie Despentes (France), Frank Wynne, Vernon Subutex 1 (MacLehose Press)
- Han Kang (South Korea), Deborah Smith, The White Book (Portobello Books)
- László Krasznahorkai (Hungary), John Batki, Ottilie Mulzet & George Szirtes, The World Goes On (Tuskar Rock Press)
- Antonio Muñoz Molina (Spain), Camilo A. Ramirez, Like a Fading Shadow (Tuskar Rock Press)
- Ahmed Saadawi (Iraq), Jonathan Wright, Frankenstein in Baghdad (Oneworld)
- Olga Tokarczuk (Poland), Jennifer Croft, Flights (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
The winner of the 2018 Man Booker International Prize will be announced at a ceremony in London on May 22, 2018.
For more information on the prize and the shortlisted books, visit the Man Booker International Prize website. Congratulations to all the finalists!